Wednesday, November 30, 2011

RTW: Best Book of November


Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic: What's the best book you read in November?

I'm a cheating cheater. I'm cheating because I'm still actually reading the best book I've read this month, but, hey, it's still November, and though I'm only halfway through Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I bet I will finish it tonight, before the month ends, and I can assure you that it is the best book I've read this month.

(And I read some great books this month.)

My friend Jessica Love sent me a signed copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone as a surpriseb (because she is awesome). She'd been talking the book up for awhile, and though Jess and I have very similar reading tastes, I hadn't made the move and picked it up yet. My TBR pile is threatening to topple my bookshelves, so I figured I'd get to it when I got to it.

When the book arrived in the mail, I read the first page. And I knew then it was something special.

The writing is fantastic: ethereal, full of voice and punch, and so funny at times. In a genre overrun with first-person voice (not that I'm complaining; I like first-person), Taylor is a master of third-person, dipping in and out of characters' thoughts and actions seamlessly.

This is the kind of book that makes me stop and wonder, "How can I do that?" It's the kind of book that makes me want to be a better writer, a more involved and careful reader, and challenges me to read outside my favorite genres.

In short, it's fantastic. I'm both anxious to find out how it ends and dreading the final page.

What was the best book you read this month?

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but it looks intriguing. If you'd like to see my pick, it's at karensandler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really torn on this one. I loved the first part, but once it got to the reincarnation stuff, I wasn't as engaged. I really wanted the whole book to focus on Kalou. I will definitely check out the sequel, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow sounds like a wonderful book! I've heard a lot of great things about it, so I'll see if I can check it out! I've been reading a book called Clockwise by Elle Strauss this whole month, and I should be done with it by now, but I've been so busy writing and editing! It's a great YA book though and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was phenomenal! It was my favourite read for October. Can't wait for the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one in October and I did enjoy it - I LOVED it when I first started reading it, then the last 100 pages kind of killed the love. BUT a lot of people LOVED the ending - and I hope you do too.

    Overall, it was a pretty awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's on my kindle and I'll get to it in December ... can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's on my TBR pile as well! So many books to read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I'm so glad you're loving it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Laini Taylor has such imagination, and talent. I can't believe it's a year long wait until the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute blog! Thanks for stopping by
    http://smartypantsfun.com/
    Following you back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes & diabetes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure all diseases
    email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com Dr Itua can also bring back your ex lover and make him or she love more than ever.

    ReplyDelete

Loved it? Hated it? Either way, I want to hear what you thought!

 
Copyright 2009


See Heather Write
. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree