Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Funday! (and New Years Goals)

Happy Sunday, everyone! (And Happy 2010! Side question: Are you saying Twenty Ten or Two-thousand Ten? Some customers asked me last night, and I'm doing a little informal research to find out).

Before I post my Sunday Funday links, I want to make sure everyone's seen my entry for the no-kiss blog fest, which I wrote and posted yesterday! The event, hosted by Frankie at Frankie Writes, was a HUGE success, with 76 writers participating! My scene is funny, so I think it counts as a Sunday Funday entry. Anyway, it got some good feedback, and there are some other amazing scenes out there, so I just wanted to draw everyone's attention to the event.

And now...the links that I'm sure you all care about very, very much, and anticipate seeing all week! Here are some of the posts from around the blogosphere/Web that I found particularly entertaining this week:

Janet Reid cracks me up, but also intimidates me a little. If I was writing something I actually thought she'd be interested in (she doesn't do sci-fi YA, and my book takes place in the future, so...), I'm still not sure I'd query her, because she is so full of awesome snark that I'm terrified at the type of response I'd get. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Speaking of Janet Reid ... After a long hiatus, Query Shark posted three new queries this week! Here is my favorite. Seriously? And on the same note...another author who doesn't know how to behave (again, from Janet Reid).

Ever wonder why characters in YA literature go right from kissing to having sex, and skip all that "stuff" in between? So did the First Novels Club, in another wonderful post in their series on YA characters and the ways they don't act like normal teens.

No amount of words can describe the sheer awesome that will be found if you click on this link of the most commonly misspelled words, so I'm providing a photo preview to entice you (trust me, you want to click on that link). Special thanks to Julie from Book Hooked (and my book club!) for the linkage!


Last week's Sunday Funday had a link to a story Shannon wrote when she was a kid, entitled Earth Had a Snack. I felt it was only fair, this week, to include the video reenactment.

And now, something I've been meaning to do for a few days but kept getting distracted, my 2010 New Years Resolutons/Goals (well, the writing ones anyway...you people probably don't care that I'd like to have a smokin' hot bod by the end of the year).
  1. Save up for a new laptop (possibly/preferably a MacBook). Acquire by March.
  2. Write/edit at least 1,000 words every day.
  3. Attend two writing conferences. (I felt like I needed to say two, since I'm already scheduled for one.)
  4. Finish editing The Reaper's List my current WIP completely so that it shines and sparkles. (4a. Find a good title for my WIP)
  5. Start querying. Hopefully acquire an agent.
  6. Begin work on first draft of next, unrelated project.
I think that's all for now. That seems like a doable list, right? I wanted to make one that was just "Acquire an agent," but I feel like that is partially out of my hands, and I hate failing. So I just gave myself a little addendum to number 5. If I think of more, I'll add them later.

Happy New Year, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh! How did I miss that you linked Earth Had a Snack last week? Thank you--and thanks for the link again today. Um...I think. :)

    And if you've seen my newest challenge to Frankie you know there's going to be something AWESOME to come. *snickers* *runs to hide from Frankie*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say two-thousand ten. Haha, I never really thought about that.

    Good luck with your resolutions, I have yet to come up with mine! Though I know one of them is your number 5. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm saying twenty ten, most of the time, but occasionally I say two thousand and ten. I loved your piece too! Oh and good luck with the goals you've set for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been saying twenty ten but I'm not sure why.
    Great resolutions, and yay for knowing another FL writer! You're right up the road. :)
    We might have to meet for a coffee and writing chat sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon - I can't WAIT for Frankie shame. It will definitely get linked here, because it will be accidentally funny at the very least.

    a la - 5 is the best one, really :)

    Hayley - Thanks so much!

    Karen - OMG coffee would be great! We really are right up the road - I'm in St. Pete all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather, thanks for all of the linky love!! I'm sooooo glad you participated in the No Kiss Blogfest! Your No kiss was AWESOME!!! Wooohooo. And ooooy about my latest dare from Shannon. I hope its funny....fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say both for some reason, depending on why I'm saying it - go figure.

    Good luck with your resolutions (esp. #5) and Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Loved it? Hated it? Either way, I want to hear what you thought!

 
Copyright 2009


See Heather Write
. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree