Sunday, November 15, 2009

Halfway there!


Tonight, I hit 25,279 words for my NaNo.

WooHoo!

My hands ache a little, and I definitely lost a lot of time revising my first 25 pages for the Writer's in Paradise workshop. But my submission is more or less ready (I have some final edits left), so no more time should be wasted editing pages. Just writing my little heart out.

The hardest thing I'm coming up against right now is what to do with one of my characters. I've got him in a situation, and there are only two outcomes if I want everything else I've written so far to be believable (and I would very much like that to be the case). One outcome seems to be more logical, but from the way the people who read my first 25 pages reacted to this character, I don't think my readers would love it. The other outcome might ultimately make the reader happier, but I'm afraid that it sticks me with some big problems. It also might give me more plot fodder, which would be great, just in case I need it. However, I'm afraid of doing too many things that have been done before. But I guess there's a reason those things have been done before - they work. They make readers, agents, and publishers happy, and they sell books.

I think either outcome would be fine with me - either way I'll have written something interesting, and I could definitely see both solutions being plausible. The only reason I didn't write more tonight is because I'm trying to figure out what to do with this character. I better decide tonight, because I want to get ahead of my word count again so I can finish my novel by the end of November! (I think this novel is about 65,000 - 70,000 words, not just 50,000, so even though it only takes 50K to win NaNo, I'd like to finish the book by the end of the month.)

1 comment:

Loved it? Hated it? Either way, I want to hear what you thought!

 
Copyright 2009


See Heather Write
. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree