Monday, November 9, 2009

A prompt and a confession

As I type this, there might be someone in the country reading my novel.

O.M.G.

The other day, I mentioned that a few of the women on my book club board were going to critique the first 25 pages of my novel for me. I emailed it out to five people last night, so now I'm just waiting to hear back! I think it's better that these are people that I've never met, and that my only friendships/interactions with them are on the cyber level. That way, if they hate it, they don't have to look me in the eye knowing that they've destroyed my hopes and dreams. I'm hoping they'll be brutally honest and tear it to shreds, tell me it's awful, then help me pick up the tattered pieces and put it back together in a form that will be suitable enough to get me into the workshop.

Yesterday at my NaNo write-in, I also learned that one of the other women participating in NaNo has applied to the same workshop! It would be pretty cool if we both got in, since I would already know someone. She actually has published a book that will be coming out in a few weeks, so she falls into the more experienced authors category. I still definitely fall into the "amateur in desperate need of help and attention and a good ass-kicking."

And now, on to the writing! Today's prompt comes again from the fabulous One-Minute Writer. The word of the day over at oneword.com was headband, which I thought was pretty lame, plus I'm not sure they even have headbands in my book. So what I wrote was terrible. But my one-minute writer piece was pretty awesome. The prompt was skywriter: Imagine you hired a skywriter. What message will the plane write in the sky, and where will it fly? Here's what I came up with, in one minute.

_____

I would hire the plane to fly high over Satera, preferably right over the Council's headquarters. I would have them spell out all the treacheries that Brax has told me about, all the lies the Council has been force-feeding us our entire lives. And I would tell the people the truth about the mortality patrol. Then I would tell my mom I love her, because the regulators would surely be after me before the last whiff of smoke came out of the tailpipe.

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I just found your blog today and I had to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. I'm in the middle of revisions on my draft and sent them out for the first time to cyber friends for critiques so I know what you're feeling. And I admire your thick skin and easy acceptance of criticism. I try to have a thick skin but sometimes it fails me.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi" and I hope you don't mind that I'm following your blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! Thanks for the comment, and I don't mind at all that you're following the blog! I checked yours out and loved it, so will be following you right back.

    I think my attitude about criticism comes from my job. I get notes on my writing all the time at work, and the person who writes them is actually a good friend of mine. Of course, the writing I do at work is a lot more boring and less meaningful to me, so this is a little more nerve-wrecking. And you never know, I might change my tune when I actually see the feedback!

    ReplyDelete

Loved it? Hated it? Either way, I want to hear what you thought!

 
Copyright 2009


See Heather Write
. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree